Time: 1 hr 30 Grade: Medium - high fitness Gear: Good hiking shoes required
This new track crosses Glencoe Station. To access it, walk up Tobins Track till approximately halfway up on the right hand side there is an orange marker and a gate indicating the start of New Chum Track. This is a poled route (orange markers) and follows the ridgeline of Glencoe Station before descending into gullies and streams. The exit point is by the Norman Smith Bridge on the Macetown trail and from then, its a walk along the irrigation pipe trail back to the town centre.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.1
There are two theories as to why the town is named Arrowtown. One is that the river behind the town flows swiftly like an arrow.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.2
Australia’s first saint, Sister Mary MacKillop visited Arrowtown in 1897 and set up a Catholic School. Part of this school can still be visited today.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.3
Arrowtown was originally known as Fox’s. named after William Fox an early gold discoverer. Then it was known as The Arrow and later Arrowtown.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.4
The first Arrowtown School was in Buckingham Street and opened in 1863. It was on the site now occupied by the Oak development.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.5
Millbrook Resort is named after Mill Farm on which it sits. Mill farm was established by the Butel family who came from Normandy.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.6
The trees in Arrowtown’s beautiful avenues are Sycamore, Ash, Oak, Elm, and Rowan. The first avenue was planted in 1867.