Time: 6 hours return Grade: Medium - high fitness Gear: Full hiking gear recommended
This is a 4WD road which crosses the Arrow River many times. Vehicles should not go in alone. The river can rise rapidly when raining and should not be accessed during the winter months. Walkers and bikers and horses take care of vehicles on the Road. There are many historical points of interest along the way, almost a story at every bend. It's worthwhile purchasing a small booklet from the Lakes District Museum which locates and describes the historic features along the way. The book is called "Macetown and the Arrow Gorge”.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.1
Millbrook Resort is named after Mill Farm on which it sits. Mill farm was established by the Butel family who came from Normandy.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.2
The Chinese Settlement was established in 1867-8 and was in existence until the mid 1930’s. The site underwent an archaeological excavation in 1984.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.3
Arrowtown had four churches representing the early immigrant populations. Catholic, Presbyterian, Anglican and Methodist. All still operate today except for the Methodist Church.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.4
The first Arrowtown School was in Buckingham Street and opened in 1863. It was on the site now occupied by the Oak development.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.5
Arrowtown was originally known as Fox’s. named after William Fox an early gold discoverer. Then it was known as The Arrow and later Arrowtown.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.6
Arrowtown has one of the best preserved collection of goldfields heritage buildings in New Zealand.