Big Hill Trail Time: 5-6 hours return Grade: Medium - High Fitness Gear: Full hiking gear recommended
This is a route rather than a well formed trail. The inexperienced tramper is best to access Macetown via the River Trail. This walk crosses private land. Landowner's property is to be respected at all times. Please remain on the trail. Strictly no dogs or trail bikes. Until the opening of the Macetown road in 1884, this trail was the main route over to Macetown. It often took days to reach the town battling harsh mountain weather and often an impassable track. Today the trail follows the old bridle trail and climbs steadily from Bush Creek for an hour to reach Eichardt's Flat where there are grand views over the Arrow Basin and Lake Hayes. Here the trail branches right to Sawpit Gully, but looking ahead two distinctive water races traverse the slpes towards Big Hill itself. The trail follows the races through dry tussock lands to a patch of mountain beech forest before climbing up to Big Hill Saddle, where Advance Peak stands out behind Macetown. From the Saddle drop down to the Eight Mile or Coronet Creek via a poled route. From here follow the road for a further 20 minutes upstream to Macetown or you can return to Arrowtown via the Arrow Gorge Road.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.1
Arrowtown has one of the best preserved collection of goldfields heritage buildings in New Zealand.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.2
Arrowtown had four churches representing the early immigrant populations. Catholic, Presbyterian, Anglican and Methodist. All still operate today except for the Methodist Church.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.3
The discoverer of gold in the Arrow river was a shepherd named Jack Tewa or Maori Jack. He also won the Royal Humane medal for saving a man from drowning in Lake Wakatipu.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.4
Australia’s first saint, Sister Mary MacKillop visited Arrowtown in 1897 and set up a Catholic School. Part of this school can still be visited today.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.5
The trees in Arrowtown’s beautiful avenues are Sycamore, Ash, Oak, Elm, and Rowan. The first avenue was planted in 1867.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.6
There has been a fire station on the current site since 1890. The hand drawn hose reel was used until the 1940’s.