Sir Michael Hill's private golf course in Arrowtown was designed by Darby Partners and opened in 2007 to host The New Zealand Open.
Set over 500 acres of land across a glacial valley, The Hills is home to an incredible array of flora including native brown top grasses and wild native mountain tussocks. Sculptures crafted by New Zealand artists compliment the natural beauty of the course’s lakes, waterways and wetland areas. The 6596 meter par 72 championship course features numerous elevated tees offering players an excellent view of the challenge ahead and 360 degree views of spectacular snow capped mountain scenery. There are no parallel fairways and no two holes alike.
Players visiting The Hills have access to the clubhouse, locker room facilities, and driving range for the day of their booking and treatments in our day spa can also be arranged. The clubhouse restaurant is open to players for both breakfast and lunch, and food and beverages can be delivered on course by request. All players receive a complimentary bottle of water, a yardage book and a bag tag.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.1
Australia’s first saint, Sister Mary MacKillop visited Arrowtown in 1897 and set up a Catholic School. Part of this school can still be visited today.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.2
There are two theories as to why the town is named Arrowtown. One is that the river behind the town flows swiftly like an arrow.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.3
There has been a fire station on the current site since 1890. The hand drawn hose reel was used until the 1940’s.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.4
Arrowtown had four churches representing the early immigrant populations. Catholic, Presbyterian, Anglican and Methodist. All still operate today except for the Methodist Church.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.5
Arrowtown was originally known as Fox’s. named after William Fox an early gold discoverer. Then it was known as The Arrow and later Arrowtown.
Arrowtown Random Fact No.6
The first Arrowtown School was in Buckingham Street and opened in 1863. It was on the site now occupied by the Oak development.