These include the Arrowtown Volunteer Fire Brigade, Arrowtown Horticultural Society, the Masonic Lodge and Scouts. Sports Clubs include netball, bowling, indoor bowls, rugby, golf, bridge, swimming tennis, and skateboarding. Leisure and entertainment groups include line dancing, tai chi, yoga, jazz ballet, gymnastics, a meditation group and many more.
See the Arrowtown Village Association for more information.
The Chinese Settlement was established in 1867-8 and was in existence until the mid 1930’s. The site underwent an archaeological excavation in 1984.
The first Arrowtown School was in Buckingham Street and opened in 1863. It was on the site now occupied by the Oak development.
There are two theories as to why the town is named Arrowtown. One is that the river behind the town flows swiftly like an arrow.
The discoverer of gold in the Arrow river was a shepherd named Jack Tewa or Maori Jack. He also won the Royal Humane medal for saving a man from drowning in Lake Wakatipu.
Arrowtown was originally known as Fox’s. named after William Fox an early gold discoverer. Then it was known as The Arrow and later Arrowtown.
Millbrook Resort is named after Mill Farm on which it sits. Mill farm was established by the Butel family who came from Normandy.
Register Here for access to our Trade & Media Downloads