Churches

St Patricks Catholic Church

St Patricks Catholic Church

How to get there

Hertford Street, Arrowtown, on the corner of Merioneth and Hertford Street, just opposite the Bowling Green.

Mass Times

  • 1st, 3rd and 5th Sunday of every month Mass is celebrated at 11.00 am
  • 2nd and 4th Sunday of every month there is a Liturgy and Communion service.

Contact details - For information phone (03) 442 8414

The church is open every day and visitors are very welcome.

History - The St Mary McKillop cottage is on the church grounds and that is open daily for viewing.

Mary Helen MacKillop (15 January 1842 – 8 August 1909), also known as Saint Mary of the Cross, was an Australian Roman Catholic nun who, together with Father Julian Tenison Woods, founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart and a number of schools and welfare institutions throughout Australia and New Zealand, with an emphasis on education for the poor, particularly in country areas. Since her death she has attracted much veneration in Australia and internationally.

An old miner’s cottage by the historic St Patrick’s Catholic Church in Hertford Street is named after Mary MacKillop, who was canonised at the Vatican in October 2010 – 101 years after her death.

MacKillop came to Arrowtown in 1897 with other teaching nuns and converted part of a school attached to the cottage into a convent.

The building was restored just before she was beatified in 1995. The school that was attached to the cottage was shifted across the road and is part of the bowling club.

St Johns Presbyterian Church

St Johns Presbyterian Church

How to get there

On the main road into Arrowtown
Berkshire Street, Arrowtown
For information, tel (03) 441 4250

Service Times -

  • Sunday  9am
  • Messy Church - 3rd Sunday of each month at 4.00pm

Mainly Music (Except school holidays)

  • Tuesdays at 10 am
  • Wednesdays at 1.30 pm

Parish Office - Phone 03 441 4250 or email wpchurch@xtra.co.nz

Local contact: Bruce Patton 027-4336730 or email patton.arrowtown@xtra.co.nz

Community Hall

A brand new addition to St John's is the church comminity hall available for hire with seating for up to 200 people. High standard audio-visual equipment.

ST JOHN’S CHURCH HALL

  • Main Hall Seating 100 – 120 approx
  • East Lounge Seating 30
  • North Lounge Seating 20
  • Foyer Overflow Seating 20

Each area can be used together or separately, using sound absorbing doors.

  • High standard Audio-visual equipment to 3 x 50” screen in main hall.
  • Speakers in each area including foyer and outside options.
  • Kitchen 2 Ranges
  • 2 Zip Water Heaters
  • Microwave
  • 2 Serveries
  • Dishwasher / Sterilizer
  • Fridge / Freezer
  • Toilet facilities include wheelchair toilet and baby change table.
  • Heating: 2 air to water heat pumps heating 3km of pipes in concrete floor will hold temperature at 16 degrees and boost to 20 degrees on demand or by timed program.
  • Insulation: Well over normal building requirement in ceiling and walls, double glazed throughout.
  • 200 chairs available

Existing old buildings include restored and well heated church, meeting room and office. Video and sound link from church to hall.

History

The stone church (cat 2 NZHPT) was built in1873, designed by F.W. Burwell and built with the assistance of Chinese labourers, as the gold rush was over. The thick (500mm) walls were built straight on top of the ground, and it wasn’t until 1995 that a concrete foundation 1 metre deep, was poured under the outside half of each of the external walls. This was done to stabilize the building and to prevent the roots of the two Sequoiadendron Giganteum (Wellingtonia) trees that frame the entrance, from eventually destroying the church. This appears to have been successful. The trees were planted circa 1880. The wooden vestry and bedroom (now office) were added in 1880. A bedroom, (unique in NZ we believe) because the minister would sleep overnight on Saturday, after riding his horse from Queenstown to Arrowtown, before taking the service on Sunday and then riding home again. It was also used, in the early days, as living quarters for student ministers assisting in the parish over summer.

In 1959 the originally Millers Flat (Malaghan Rd below Coronet Peak) Church (built 1869) was joined as a hall to the north side of the vestry, it had also been relocated in 1951 to be the Speargrass Flat Church. In 2010 it was moved again and restored to sit alongside and become part of the Miner’s Cottages Trust Precinct, situated between Buckingham St and Roman’s Lane.

This move was necessary to make room for a modern new hall and ancillary facilities, to be built to the rear of the original church. This was completed in early 2011.

As it is sited in the Arrowtown Historic Zone and attached to an historic listed building, the new hall had to comply with strict historic guidelines on the outside, but is very modern on the inside, with air to water heat-pumps heating the under-floor heating, extra insulation, double glazing and three 50” TV screens and audio equipment, as well as a large kitchen and toilet facilities. An audio-visual link is available from the church to the hall for large services and gatherings.

The new building consists of a large hall with two lounges which can be used separately or all opened up to make one large open space, seating over 200 people. The larger east lounge opens out onto a sunny, sheltered courtyard, garden and lawn area.

Once the hall was completed, work commenced on restoring as much as possible of the interior of the church and vestry. The pews and dado paneling were returned to almost their original stained condition. The vestry, which had been modernized in the 1950’s and lined with pinex, was stripped back to the original T&G wooden panels and one of the original fireplaces uncovered.

The church is open most days for viewing.

Arrowtown Community Church

Arrowtown Community Church

How to get there

The Arrowtown School Hall, Chalmers Place, off Hood Crescent

Address - Chalmers Place Arrowtown

Service times -    Sundays 10.00am

  Small groups mid week, 7.30pm.

  Sunday school, 10.15am -11.00 am.

Contact details - Peter Hillman 03 442 0770

E-mail hillmans@xtra.co.nz

Administration -  Arrowtown Community Church

E-mail Address - arrowtowncc@slingshot.co.nz

Postal address;

43 McDonnell Road

Arrowtown 9302

History

We are a church associated with the New Life churches of NZ, and have been meeting since Easter 2010. We have a heart and vision to reach Arrowtown and beyond with the Gospel. Our church family has a mix of young to the more mature and we delight in community. Visitors are most welcome to join our celebration and worship.

St Pauls Anglican Church

St Pauls Anglican Church

How to get there

On the main road into Arrowtown

Address - Berkshire Street, Arrowtown

Service Times - Sunday at 9.00 am

Contact Details - Rev David Cole phone 03-442 8391

Facilities available - small wooden cottage

History - A beautifully preserved historic wooden church that has served the local Anglican Community for many years.

The church is open for visitors